Often times you may have products that are not just one product, but one product with options. For example, you may have a clothing item, like a shirt. Obviously, there isn't a one-size fits all shirt, so there will be size options, for example, small, medium, and large.
The first product that has to be loaded is the parent product. The parent product is not a real product. Think of the parent product as a "bucket" that is the container for the option products (child products).
So, let's walk through setting up a parent-child product.
1) The first step is to login to the admin portal. After you have logged into the portal, select the vendor that you wish to load products for from the drop down menu.
2) The next step is to click on the Inventory button, which is located on the top toolbar.
3) After clicking on the Inventory button on the toolbar, You'll see a navigation bar appear along the left-side of the screen. Click on the All Inventory link.
4) After clicking on the All Inventory link on the left navigation menu, you will see a list of all of the items that are in inventory at that time. If the screen is blank, it is because there are no items in inventory.
In order to add a new item to inventory, you must click on the Add Item button (second button from left on the list buttons above the Search Bar)
5) You have to add the parent product, and then add the child products,. Remember that the parent product is not a real product. It is just a container for the child products (the options), so if you do not have a Sku number for the parent products, then just create a new Sku that is similar to the child product Sku's. So, for example, the parent product Sku could be 1234 and the child product could be 1234-R.
6) if you are not familiar with how to add the initial parent product, then please read the article that is available at https://commercescience.
7) After the parent product has been created, then you are going to need to click on the Options tab to create the child variations.
If there aren't any child products for the parent product, you are going to need to click on the Options button, and then click on the blue Add/Edit Options button to enter the variations (i.e. Size, Color, Style, etc.)
8) After clicking on the Add/Edit Options button, you'll see a dialog box like the one below where you can add a new option group or edit an existing group. Click on the Add Option Group button, then enter the name of the option group and click on Add. After you have added the Option Group, you'll need to add the options. Click on the Add button in the bottom left corner of the dialog box. In the below example, the Add button reads "Add Color", so you'll click on the Add Color button to add the options for colors (i.e. Red, Greeb, Blue, etc.)
9) After you have added the Option Group and the options, you now need to add the child Sku products. Just click on the Plus (+) button to display the Create Child Product dialog box.
10) Enter the name and SKU into their respective boxes, and use the drop down menu to select from the options that you configured under the options group. In this case, the option being selected is Red, so click on Red and then click on the blue Save button to save your new child Sku addition.
That's it. You have just added a parent-child Sku.